[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Good Pig

----------
From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 03, 1998 4:03 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Good Pig

Coiler Types,

I've been tinkering with my new pig, trying to ascertain if it's
serviceable or not.  I'm too chicken to apply mains power to it--I
don't have anything to ballast it with.  I ohmed the 11KV winding,
and the needle (honest, a moving needle) slowly settled down on
about 350 ohms.  The 240V winding was practically a dead short.  I
have no idea what the resistance of pig windings should be.  Do my
readings sound right?

I was desperate to test it somehow, so I tried my 6 amp car battery
charger on it.  I made a spark gap of about .25" with some stiff
wire.  I clipped one charger lead to one 240V terminal.  I tapped
the other charger clip against the other 240V terminal, and
was rewarded with a sharp "SNAP" across the spark gap.  I think it
works!  Not bad, considering the price tag  (it was FREE).

Greg

Tickling the Pig's Tail in East Anglia, UK