[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tuning coils:Questions and Observations

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, February 02, 1998 9:40 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Tuning coils:Questions and Observations

<<
> I have a range of coils wound by myself and by others, the ones wound by
> another guy "tune" when the primary is tapped at 18 turns which is quite
> high while my coil of similar dimensions tunes at the 5th turn  (this is
> with a top load).  This I have put down to his coils using a lot thinner
> wire and so have up to 2000 turns, while mine are quite thick wire
> having only 600-900 turns.

Matt,

Yes, that's basically the reason assuming the coils have similar
sized capacitors.  Then more turns in secondary, will require more
turns in the primary.

>  It is also interesting to note that his coils are wound anti-clockwise
> when looking down on them while mine are wound clockwise.  Does this
> make a difference?  I have never heard of a mention of direction of
> winding in all my texts on telsa coil building.

There's a lot of info on this subject in the List Archives.  Basically
it doesn't matter.  Even if pri and sec are wound opposite, it's ok.
Some have said that the tighter the coupling, the more important
it is to wind pri and sec in the same direction.

> While testing with only 10 volts going into my bank of 4 NST's i still
> managed to get 2 inch sparks emanating from the unloaded top wire!

Probably resonant charging effects are allowing the gaps to fire at the
low input voltage.

Which of your coils give the longest sparks for the same amount of power
input, the thick wire with few turns, or the thin wire with lots 'o turns?

John Freau