[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage/Length (fwd)

----------
From:  Greg Leyh [SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, January 31, 1998 10:29 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

John H. Couture wrote:

> So now we have a spark length from 3 ft to 9 ft representing one million
> volts for the Tesla coil output.
[big multi-nested snip]

That does not appear to me to be the logical conclusion
for this rather lengthy, yet interesting thread.

In fact, it seems that most of the folks on this List
already realize that a properly working Tesla Coil does not
require anything near one million volts of output in order
to create and maintain even a 9 ft long streamer!

Tricks such as high break rates and ion persistance allow
the TC to 'cheat' the normal Voltage/Length ratings for air,
and produce 9 ft streamers with as little as 200kV output.

Think about it -- without such tricks, how could a Tesla
Coil produce an arc that's longer than its secondary winding?

-GL