[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

BIG Capacitors

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Friday, February 20, 1998 11:37 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  BIG Capacitors

"Ed- eletrolytics are really lousy for fast pulse-discharge work.

1. they have high-self-inductance, which slows down their discharge time
too much for 1uS pulse times.  Most pulse-discharge research is looking
for very high peak power, and the narrower you can get your pulse, the
higher the peak power for a given stored energy.

2. they have high effective series resistance, limiting their discharge
current and thus, discharge time."
	Agreed.  All I said was that the discharge would be spectacular,
and to my way of thinking it is.  But, all things are relative.....
Did manage to weld a screwdriver to the top terminal screws on a
bank of 4 of those capacitors.
Ed