[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark gaps

----------
From:  Zuma [SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 19, 1998 3:42 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Spark gaps

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

When you tested how long of an arc you could get between the two leads,
Did you touch the the leads together and pull them apart? If so that's
why you may have longer arcs between the leads. In the gap it is set at
a distance to where it has to jump a set amount of space making it a
little harder to jump an arc. Any way back to your situation. When you
give it the recommended capacitance it will more readily jump the gap
better. For a 10kv transformer you should have a total gap setting of
between .075"-.125" but no more than .15". Also I would highly recommend
you build a series cylindrical gap. There are plans availible for this
type of gap and it works 100% better in my opinion.

Chris