[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A tragic coil

----------
From:  Zuma [SMTP:mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, February 19, 1998 3:59 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: A tragic coil

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Given the color, yes it should be enameled.

> Does that also meam that the turns can touch??

If the wire is enameled, yes the turns can touch. But they cannot
overlap each other.

> The turns on this coil are separated so if it was uninsulated wire, then
> would it still work or should I trash this coil and build one myself??????

If no turns are overlapped and they are spaced, this coil should work.
But if it satisfies you you could wind a new one, but keep in mind all
of the parameters involved when you wind a new one.

>  3. I replaced the 630V caps with a bank of 3KV caps and then a strange thin
> happened. When I turned it on....no sparks but absolutly MASSIVE RF
> interference. The tv in another room lost the reception (I was told) and the
> auto garage door opened up by itself and went "haywire" till I turned the
> coil off. It also lit up a neon light at about 10cm from the coil.
>
> What is going on here?????? I am totally lost now!!!!

It sounds like you are are close to getting the coil to work. If it is
giving off RF you are close to getting some sparks. Do you mind if I ask
what the specs on this coil are? Such as transformer, capacitance, spark
gap, primary(size,type,spacing between turns& what it is wound out of)
and finally describe how your system is wired, as in what is connected
where? This may sound like alot of trouble but believe me it will help
us out to possibly get your coil up and running. Like I said it is
really close to having at least a small output spark. If you get the
specs back to me I may can help you get some sparks off of this coil of
yours.

Chris