[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC RMS Conditions - was Voltage/Length etc. (fwd)

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Wednesday, February 18, 1998 12:35 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: TC RMS Conditions - was Voltage/Length etc. (fwd)

John H. Couture wrote:

> >For an evaluation, I need to know what are dt, eff, Is, and Rs.
>
>   Finding the dt, eff,  Is, and Rs is a problem and has to be estimated
> using other information. I do not know how the three scientists made these
> estimates. I show a graph in one of my books for the Rs parameter.
> Apparently no else has done this before so comparisons cannot be made. The
> graph was made using the equation
>   R = 6.283 x L/Q   The Q factor is from Terman's Handbook.

The series resistance of an LC tank would be R=2*pi*fresonance*L/Q, or
R=inductive reactance/Q.
Is the graph normalized for resonance at 1 Hz?
This is a good expression, since fresonance and Q can easily be obtained
by the observation of a step response with an oscilloscope, and L is easy
to compute or measure.
But I was asking what are these parameters, not how to find their values.

> >V2max~=V1max*sqrt(L2/L1)*Factor
> >V2max~=V1max*sqrt(C1/C2)*Factor

>   These two equations and others like it for Vs all give different answers
> for the same coil. I show these equations in one of my books but was not
> able to come up with the factors. To get around this problem I used
> empirical data from real coil tests to make the JHCTES program.

The loss factor is really difficult to predict, and the output voltage
difficult to measure, but these two expressions must be equal, simply
because L2/L1=C1/C2 if the two tanks are tuned for the same frequency.

>   Why don't you make a TC computer program using the above information?

I wrote one. It just computes the expected primary and secondary voltages,
plotting the waveforms and computing the thoretical expressions for them,
given the lumped parameters of the system. I would really like to know if what
it computes correspond to what people have measured (my coils are still
in the simulation domain...).
The TeslaSim program is available at:
ftp://ftp.coe.ufrj.br/pub/acmq/teslasim.zip

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz