[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

----------
From:  Bert Pool [SMTP:bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, February 15, 1998 10:55 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Multi-layered Secondary HELP!!

Chris,

Wild Bill Emery and I have successfully used multi-layered resonator
coils on a Tesla magnifier.  They will also work on a conventional
two layer coil.  The advantage is high inductance with lower
effective resistance of the windings.  We had *no* difficulty with
additional capacitive effects, and the multilayer configuration did
not cause us any other problems.  We have used a four layer coil in
the secondary driver of the magnifier and a two layer resonator coil.
 I have not attempted a three layer resonator like the one you plan,
but I see no reason why it should not work.  You will not need any
additional insulation between layers.  Wind one layer on the coil
form and lightly coat it with polyurethane and let dry.  Wind your
second layer and coat, then the third.  Make sure all layers are
wound in the same direction.  I'd suggest making each layer about 1/4
to 1/2 inch shorter than the one underneath, so as to make the
lengths of the wire in each layer about the same (each layer is
slightly larger in diameter, so you need to reduce the length of the
winding slightly to compensate).  Because the three windings are in
parallel, and because of the very tight coupling between the layers,
any two adjacent turns will have approximately the same voltage on
them, so there is little voltage difference between the turns of the
three windings - no special insulation between layers is required.

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com
TCBFW
> Chris