[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: parabolic dish primary (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 22:59:32 -0700
From: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: parabolic dish primary (fwd)

to: Jim

The parabolic dish idea won't work -- it will act as a shorted turn if
solid material.  A flat spiral will work fine with most coils.  Just use
some scrap 12-14 AWG house wire (or large hookup wire) laid out into
slotted cardboard strips for your initial testing.  After you find the
approx number of turns for resonance then you can focus on producing a neat
looking primary with approx 3-4 more turns than you require at normal
resonance.  These extra taps are nice for the "stand-on" experiments (short
HV cable to insulated & elevated cookie pan of water which you stand in to
light up neon tubes & shoot sparks off your fingers, etc.).  Move the tap
outward usually 3 turns from its normal setting for better resonance with
the normal bodys 160 pF of additional capacitive load.  A 22 inch dia glass
plate is usually required atop your insulated stand as the arcs off the
bottom of the cookie tray usually burn plastic.  Have fun.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net