[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin effect and aluminum question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:02:53 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Skin effect and aluminum question (fwd)

Nope, no difference. The problem comes in with a partially oxidized and
hence semiconducting surface, where some of the power goes into, and is
dissipated as heat. The moral of the story is to finish your aluminum RF
parts, either by a passive coating (i.e. anodizing) or a conductive coating
(e.g. iridite), i.e avoid the semiconducting layer. I might add that very
pure soft aluminum forms a very nice oxide coating, but you generally don't
build much out of dead soft pure aluminum, but more usually a silicon allow
like 6061.

> Can anyone convince me that I'm wrong?  I am aware that the aluminum
> conductor may provide more resistance at connections because the
> electricity has to penetrate the oxide layer though.

You have hit the real problem with aluminum as wire. I note however, that
HV transmission lines are mostly aluminum, the light weight and low cost
being a great advantage over copper. And, of course, they are installed by
"trained professionals" so the resistance of a properly made connection is
negligible. They are also careful to address the problem of differential
temperature coefficient of expansion.