[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capton wire, etc.?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 98 08:33:09 EST
From: Gary Lau  13-Feb-1998 0817 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Capton wire, etc.??

>I just picked up 3000 feet of Capton coated teflon wire. The wire center must
>be about #24 or smaller.The insulation makes the wire about 3 or 4 times as
>thick as the center copper core. Anybody heard of this? Is it good for a Tesla
>coil? Also got a roll of #20 stranded wire. Seems like someone said before
>that stranded wire was no good?

For winding a secondary, using wire with such a thick secondary would result in
a much lower inductance, due to fewer turns per inch.  Thus, you'd need a much
larger diameter to get comparable inductance.  I've never heard anyone
suggest that normal enamel insulation requires improvement.

It may however be useful for winding ferrite or powdered iron core chokes.  In
this application, stranded or solid makes no difference.

>I also got lots of "high reliability" DIPs with numbers starting with 54. Would
>these be better for circuits used nearTesla coils?

These chips are just rated for higher temperature operation, generally at
somewhat reduced DC loading conditions and reduced speed specs.  I've not seen
anything suggesting they have superior ESD resistance.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA