[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Strange Spark Phenomena (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 05:24:41 -0700
From: Scott Stephens <stephens-at-enteract-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Strange Spark Phenomena

At 01:30 AM 2/11/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Edward V. Phillips wrote:
>
>>         I usually see the following.  More or less straight bright
>> blue spark for a couple of inches, at which point in branches into
>> a number of purple sparks which fan out around the point where
>> the blue spark ends.

Another explanation for a bushy, diffuse spark generated by a long-pulse
train tube coil, in contrast to a sharp, distinct arc from an impulse
capacitor discharge coil, is a stroboscopic effect.

A bright single-shot discharge will appear distinct as a lightning bolt. A
persistant gaseous discharge will have time to flow and diffuse and appear
less sharp and well defined.