[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Evaluation needed (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:25:27 +0000
From: Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Evaluation needed

A few comments:

Dan Ressler wrote:

>                 If energy is applied to the circuit at the right frequency (the
> circuit's resonant frequency) the voltage in the system will build up to
> huge voltages (in a perfect world the voltage would reach infinity).

If you are driving this resonant circuit from _another_
loosely coupled resonant circuit, in a perfect world
the voltage would ultimately reach Vs = Vp SQRT(Ls/Lp).

>    In the case of the tesla coil the transformer adds energy into the
> tank circuit, not at the resonant frequency, but the voltage still
> escalates.  When the voltage is high enough it jumps the spark gap.  The
> gap produces "white noise", or all possible radio frequencies, one of
> these frequencies is the resonant frequency of the tank circuit.

Actually, the frequency content of the current in the
gap is mostly the res freq at low coupling, with some
freq splitting at high coupling.  Not much total power
is present elsewhere in its spectrum.  An o-scope will
readily demonstrate this.

> Just as a final thought, I turned in my tesla coil for my high school
> science fair project, and the teacher was scared out of his wits that I
> made this ting with his signature on the forms, he is barring me from
> entering the real science fair because he thinks it is too
> dangerous.......still I think he was very impressed

These are symptoms of success!

-GL