[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Series or parallel? (fwd)

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, February 10, 1998 9:04 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Series or parallel? (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 17:54:03 -0700
> From: Tim Dempsey <tdempsey-at-easley-dot-net>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Series or parallel? (fwd)
>
> > > Also, I would like to know where the strike rail for the
> > > primary connects into the circuit? Thanks in advance.
> > It doesn't. At least not into your tank. Your strike rail should
> > be connected to the same RF ground that you have your secondary
> > connected to. [and your bypass caps, and your neon tranny's core.]
>
> If I connect the srike rail to the RF gound what keeps the spark discharge from
> continually striking the rail instead of discharging into the air? BTW my coil
> is under construction, I am currently working on the secondary form. It's 7"
> dia. x  28" , so can
> I plan on getting any more than 28" streamers?  Thanks for your help.
>
> Tim
>
> tdempsey-at-easley-dot-net

Tim,

If you use an appropriately sized toroid, you will actually "shape" the
electrostatic field around the toroid & coil such that it tend to direct
the streamers out sideways or slightly upward. This results in any
strikes to the rail having to make fairly long loops outward and back
down (and much longer than 28").

Safe coilin' to you, Tim!

-- Bert --