[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

0.5*C*V*V vaild? (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Leng

----------
From:  Edward V. Phillips [SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent:  Monday, February 09, 1998 2:16 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re:  0.5*C*V*V vaild?  (Was Output Voltages and Voltage/Leng

"
Works by the Corums, particularly the Notes for their program TCTUTOR
are fairly complete. Unfortunately, one learns almost nothing about
how to build a good coil beyond the basic understanding that
thousands of turns of fine wire with a high h/d ratio is not the best
idea in the world. I too have serious doubts about what they say,
partly because of a total lack of measurement with regard to output,
but more tellingly, the reported "measured and predicted Q of 60" as
given for an example coil in the 1990 ITS Symposium Notes that I
would have expected to clock in with a Q of at least 250 based on
coils I have built and measured. Draw your own conclusions about the
theory that predicts that result.

Malcolm"

	You'd really have to work to get the Q as low as 60!!
Some "Quickies" I wound up here with about 1000 turns of #30
on an UNDRIED 3" mailing tube measure well over 250 at 300
kHz.

Ed