[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil Photos

----------
From:  RODERICK MAXWELL [SMTP:tank-at-mail.magnolia-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, February 07, 1998 5:17 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Tesla Coil Photos

> My best photos were taken as follows:
>
> 1) Set a coffee can or bucket on the ground a few feet away from the coil and
> put a narrow beam flashlight (maglight) pointing so that the beam lights up
> the secondary just below the toroid.
>
> 2) Set up the camera on a tripod out of range of the magnetic field.
>
> 3)  My best results were using ASA100 speed.
>
> 4)  Rig the camera with a shutter switch that won't vibrate the camera.  I
> soldered some 40AWG to the button contacts and ran a remote switch out to the
> coil control pannel.
>
> 5)  Here's the good part. Set the shutter for B or so that it stays open the
> whole time the switch is pressed.  Then set the F-stop for about 2.8.  Press
> the switch and hold for 1-3 seconds to get a good image of the secondary, and
> then turn on the coil while still holding down the switch.  The longer you
> hold the switch, the more sparks you will capture.  This way you can still get
> a good view of the secondary even if you only want to capture one long spark.
>
> Good luck,
>
> R. Scott Coppersmith

     Thanks for the tips! I'm not sure I want to start goofing around
with the B switch connection though. I think if I use this method I'll
buy a factory made cable to control the shutter.
     I can't wait until the scanner, shows up so I can show you guys
what I've been up to in the time I've been on the list.

                                    Frankensteins Helper
                                            Max