[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dielectric Properties of Wood?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> Towards a goal of coming up with some basic conceptual understanding of
> the influence of the surroundings on TC performance:
>
> I am looking for some information on the typical RF dielectric
> properties (resistivities, dissipation factor) for wood and other
> construction materials used in building houses. Specifically, if anyone
> has a source for the properties of things like plywood, composition
> shingles, roof tiles, concrete slabs, etc. I'd like to hear about it.
>
> I realize that the properties will vary quite dramatically with water
> content.
>
> --
> Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
> ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213
> lab: 818/354-2954     161-110         4800 Oak Grove Drive
> fax: 818/393-6875                     Pasadena CA 91109

Jim,

For wood and wood products, one possible source may be:
Torgovnikov, Grigoriy: DIELECTRIC PROPERTIES OF WOOD AND WOOD-BASED
MATERIALS; Springer-Verlag, 1993, 196pp, ISBN 0387553940.
This book is about $116 new [OUCH!] from A1Books or about $48 [somewhat
less of an ouch] on the used book market.

For other materials, one of the better references would be:
von Hippel, Arthur R., DIELECTRIC MATERIALS and APPLICATIONS, Vol 2,
Artech House, Inc., 1995, 438pp, softcover, ISBN 0890068054 [on Barnes &
Noble's Website for $59.00]

-- Bert --