[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC behavior with AC TC

I have discovered that my Telsa coil, under certain conditions, can not
only drive a pop-bottle electrostatic motor (see William Beaty's site
for design details), but also feed a working charge to my Van De Graaff.

TC: 7.5KV neon, 30 ma; zillions of ceramic caps in parrallel and series;
flat primary usually tapped at 7 turns; secondary 4", 950 turns, 27 awg.
No special gizmos, just a quicky table top.

Phenomena: Pop bottle motor placed withing 24 inches of coil spins
without hesitation when coil is turned on. Said motor does not need a
"positive" stator, just needs the other stator connected to a
ground--either house or the TC's RF, doesn't matter. Does not exhibit
characteristics of an ion-drive motor, or characteristics of motors that
Tesla describes quite well in his works. If the motor is connected
directly to the terminal, The AC takes over and sparks and arcs fly
everywhere.

Van De Graaff: If I disconnect the bottom charge comb from the ground,
and connect it to a wire laying within 24" of my coil, the Van De Graaff
charges immediately when the TC is turned on. The charges ceases when
the TC is turned off.

Other spicey data: My garage is currently cold and dry. Lowering the
frequency of the coil by adding top load slowsor changing tank
capacitatance slows the RPM of the motor. Best performance is obtained
with a 1 inch sold brass terminal that break-outs continuously.

Anyone else been intrigued by this sort of politically incorrect
behavior? Explanations and comments welcomed.

"And to think Telsa did all this, before the electron was even
invented!"

--
Rob Rawnsley
Professional Carbon Unit