[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stacked primaries

Hi Gary,

> Original Poster: Gary Lau  16-Dec-1998 2124 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
>
> Richard Craven has published an excellent paper entitled: "DESIGN
> IMPROVEMENTS IN TESLA COIL PERFORMANCE" on his web site, at
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~craven/ieetesla.html.  One suggestion
> made was in using two stacked primaries:
<snip>

> I've never heard of this and can't visualize the electrical and mechanical
> configurations.  Is there any more info on this and has it actually been
> done?

I've built and used such primaries. The idea is not new. If you look
at old spark radio installations you'll see this idea implemented as
spirals sitting above one another. I've found that two identical
coils stacked with spacing amounting to a couple of tube diameters
gives a 70-odd% increase in inductance over a single layer coil using
the same length of copper. It is also more compact.
     You can buy soft copper already formed as a two-layer spiral
from pumbing merchants. The coil starts from the outside, winds
inward, then climbs onto the second layer while spiralling outwards
again, all turns in the same direction. A layer of plexiglass serves
as interlayer insulation.

Malcolm