[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

coax cap ,bifilar coils

I read with some interest about the capacitance of coaxial cable. Has
anyone tried any experiments with bifilar coils . To whit i submit the
following quote:

>  A bifilar coil is
> capable of holding more charge than a single wound coil. When operated at
resonance, the
> distributed capacitance of the bifilar coil is able to overcome the
counter force normal to coils,
> inductive reactance. It does not allow what Tesla described (Tesla, 1894)
as the formation of "false
> currents."
>
> Because the electrical activity in the coil does not work against itself
in the form of a counter-emf,
> the potential across the coil quickly builds to a high value. The
difference between the turns becomes
> great enough that (Tesla, 1892) "the energy would be practically all
potential." At this point, the
> system becomes an electrostatic oscillator.
>
>       Measurements (Nichelson, 1991) of the same
>                     size single and double wound coils, both with
>                     approximately the same inductance have
>                     shown that, at resonance, both the voltage
>                     response and voltage gain to be several orders of
magnitude greater for the
>                     double wound design . The figure below shows the
voltage gain of two 4 inch
>                     diameter helix wound coils with the same number of
turns. The lower plot is
>                     of the single wound coil and the upper curve is that
of the double wound coil

> it would be driven at a
> voltage as great as could be tolerated by the wire's
> insulation and that the amount of stored charge
> would be at least as great as required by the load
> at the operating voltage and frequency. To take a
> purely hypothetical example, if the load is a 100
> watt light bulb and the potential in the coil is
> 5000 volts and the coil is oscillating at a frequency
> of 1000 Hz, then in a period of a quarter cycle a
> charge of 5 x 10-6 coulombs would have to be
> displaced.

I am not sure of the accuracy of the above information as it was
obtained off the net.