[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Weird Magnifier output

Hi Dwight,

	Check a few things...

1.	Be sure the scope is well grounded on a different ground and circuit
than the coil.  In other words be sure it isn't picking up noise through
the AC or ground wiring.

2.	Be sure the input signal is within the measurement range.  If the input
amplifiers on the scope are clipping the signal, all kinds of funny things
will be seen which are not really there.

3.	How are you picking up the signals?  You "should" be using some kind of
50 ohm radio (CB, scanner, cell phone, etc.) antenna.  That antenna needs a
50-ohm terminating resistor at the input to the scope (that scope may have
this function built in if it hasn't been fried.  Check through that scope's
zillions of menus and check it with an ohmmeter).  If you just hang a wire
on the end of a scope probe, the probe circuit will ring and cause strange
things to be seen.  The antenna setup mentioned will be properly terminated
and balanced and will not have unwanted harmonics bouncing around in the
cables and such from the coil's impulses.

4.	Short the scope's input and be sure the signals disappear.  If they are
still there with the input shorted, well.... :-)

5.	The scope's sampling rate and the intermittent pulse nature of the coil
may be confusing the scope's FFT function.  If that is the case, there is
probably some work around but problems like that make my brain hurt :-))

6.	If the arcs are striking ground, you may be seeing some harmonics from
the current discharges.  Also, the spark gap may be putting out powerful RF
noise too.  Just have to play around with it to see if these are the cause.

That's my list of things digital scopes and Tesla coils do to mislead their
masters! :-)

Good luck!  Sounds like your are doing some really neat testing there!!

	Terry
	terryf-at-verinet-dot-com