[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac brush repair, DUHH!

Oops, this is a little embarassing but it's always nice to share good
news.  Perhaps someone else may benefit from this.

When it appeared that my variac's brushes had worn down and needed to be
replaced, I removed them to examine them for repair prospects.  It
appeared that the brass brush holders were press-fitted into the aluminum
disk that rotated on the shaft, presumably acting as a heat sink.  Last
night I realised that they were not press-fit, just wedged, due to
corrosion of the aluminum!  They're supposed to slide freely up and down
to accommodate brush wear!  After a bit of cleanup, it operates
beautifully.  Never mind!

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA