[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Where to put the gap?

to: Ross

The main reason you see so many schematics the other way is most of these
schematics are older designs, ie, such as those in physics books, etc.  We
started using the xmfr parallel spark gap design as early as 1971 when
testing we did confirmed this design is the best way to do it especially if
you are running a NST as your power source.  As for those still putting the
gap between the cap and primary with the cap in parallel across the NST,
well, people still do drink and drive don't they?

With the gap directly across the power source as it fires it imposes a
direct short on the xmfr for a short period of time which keeps the xmfr
from absorbing the oscillations.  Terry's research documents this with his
scrope tracings.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net