[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Saturable reactors?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com on 08.12.98 07:01:14
>
> To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
> Subject:  Saturable reactors?
>
> >Original Poster: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> >Guys,
>  >I've been spending some quality time reading through a fine old book of
> >mine:
> >Magnetic Amplifier Engineering, by Attura, (c) 1959
>
> >Anyway - this book describes the basics of a little-known-today
> >component called the saturable reactor.  Looks like if I had one I could
> >build a quite-unkillable pig controller out of it!
>
> I have been looking to these beasts too but in my understanding they create
> a big distortion of the original sine-wave input AC. You would get very
> curious wave shapes to feed your primary capacitor and spark gap!

I remember discovering with these back in the early 60's. I was working
for a little company called Magnetico, Inc. in NY. They were building
the saturable reactors for cockpit lighting dimmers for the B-58
Hustler. They were wound on large toroid cores.
As I recall, the sinewave was flattened, or rounded off, as the core
approached saturation. Memories~
--
Regards,

Scott MacGregor
9 South St.
Plainville, MA 02762
Enterprise Engineering Services (EES,Co.)
Fax/Phone 508-695-3717
Power Assist Electric Bicycles
Service/Sales
ETC, Inc.