[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3-phase current

"Hi Ed, all:

I believe that some of these designs include an idler motor,
as suggested
in another post, to actually generate a third phase. This
method produces
more power than simply running a three phase motor on 1
phase, although
probably not as much as true three phase power. The
available power depends
on the size of the idler.

- Mike
"

	I think your "idler motor" is another name for what I was
talking about.  Get a three phase motor started on single
phase and it will indeed generate the third phase.  However,
the available power is reduced since all of the power must
come from current which flows in the single phase.

Ed