[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: first big coil design[sec. form?]

In a message dated 12/4/98 2:46:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< List,

 I am starting to design my first 'big' coil for my new 10kVA pig. I have
 just started thinking about it and the first thing for me to consider is
 the secondary coil. I have hopefully a good candidate. I *barrowed* a
 garbage can from work. It appears to be some kinda plastic, almost a
 fibre appearence, about 1/4" think. One is 10.5" diameter by about 22"
 tall. Will this work for a coil form - its pretty clean. If so, I figure
 this is kinda short. Would it be beneficial to try to get another and go
 for 10.5" x 44" ? If so, what gauge wire would be good - #16, #18 ...? I
 would probably be running the thing at a max of 10kVA. I'll work on one
 thing at a time so my questions wont be premature.

 Thanks,
 Tristan Stewart, KC2EBM

Tristan,

I would go with a 3:1 minimum L/W ratio and maybe 4:1.  10.5 x 40 inch winding
length would be 3.8:1.  #16 wire would be a good choice, 40" winding length
would be about 16 or 17 lbs of wire (756 turns).

Ed Sonderman