[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neon Transformers High(er) current?

I'm going to be powering my coil with one or more neon sign transformers,
and I wanted to get some info on what I should obtain when I am ready to
go to more power.

I currently have a 12kv 30ma unit, should I obtain more of these and run
them in parallel, or should I replace them with higher current versions?
Or, should I just try to always get 12kv units of whatever current rating
is available and parallel them up?

When paralleling transformers like this, should I be attempting to match
actually output voltages to within a certain tolarance, or will it make much
difference?

What about protecting my neon power supply?  I'm sure this subject
has been beaten to death here, so could someone refer me to a good
URL on neon protection?  I've heard that some people only use a saftey
gap, while other people use handmade RF chokes.  I read once that
most handmade FR chokes were mostly ineffective (sorry, no refrence
on this), is this really a problem?

Thanks!
DK