[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Off-axis primary inductance

At 07:05 AM 12/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Tesla List wrote:

>>  Actually if you guys took a good look at the photos of Dr. Tesla's
>>  colorado spring coil you would see that he to used an off-axis
>>  tunable inductor to fine tune his primary and secondary circuits...

Where can I find more information about this method of tuning? Or a basic
description of how I can try this on my coil? It sounds like an
interesting thing to do. And it would probably help me tune it. :)

Travis

<<<< Hi Travis,

	Perhaps I can simply answer this question.  All they are talking about is
using a second inductor in the primary LC circuit to tune the coil.  There
is the primary inductor but any other inductance simply adds to the primary
coils inductance and can tune the primary frequency.  This tuning inductor
can be anywhere in the primary circuit.
	There are some brush inductors used in HAM stuff but the current in the
primary circuit is so high they usuall burn up.  A simple coil with taps is
all it really takes.  Of course, you can only add inductance and not reduce
it with this method but since the primary is usually tapable too this isn't
a big deal.  A second tuning coil in the primary is really nice on fancy
coils that have pretty fixed primary coils that can't be tuned any other
way.  If you see a coil that does not have an adjustable primary, it
probably has another inductor hiding somewhere or the primary cap is
adjustable in some way. - Terry >>>>