[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV power source.

Ben,
   Using a car coil for a TC power supply has been around for a long time.
All that is required is to have a make and break controller on the 12V side of
the coil.  The trick is to have that controller able to break high current
without frying the contacts due to the inductive load.    I used a SPDT, 24V
relay that was wired to be  self-vibrating.  You will want to put a good cap
across the relay contacts to supress the arc when it opens itself.  An
alternative would be to use a 555 timer circuit to operate some power
transistors to achieve the same effect.  The only real problem is that car
coils only produce about 50 watts, so you would have to have a few in parallel
unless you want a coil that only puts out about a 4 inch spark.
  Oh, and they are already in oil, so I wouldn't bother to remove the case.
The one I built got rather hot after running for a while, but it didn't seem
to hurt the thing.  Maybe just immerse the coil, case and all in a bucket of
oil to help it run cooler.
Hope this helps.
Mike Hollingsworth