[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Results of new single static gap

Hi Dr. Resonance,

	So, your 1800 RPM sync gap fires 120 time per sec.  For a 60 mA neon I
assume you used about a 19nF primary cap.  Have you ever tried the same
setup but with say 8 gaps and a 8.5 nF cap?  This would give about 240 BPS
with roughly the same setup and energy (half the C but twice the firing
rate).  I was just wondering if you doubled the firing rate and cut the
primary cap size in half (so the neon can charge it twice as fast) what the
effect would be.  Of course, the primary turns increases to keep the
frequency in tune which increases the coupling......

I have been experimenting with this, but so far I have gotten many more
questions than answers :-))

Thanks,

	Terry Fritz

>FROM: "D.C. Cox" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>
>to: Russ
>
>I wanted to know the answer to that same question in the early 70's, so I
>built a subdivided gap system with 24 electrodes each adjustable and
>arranged in rows of 4 so I could jumper them to come up with a wide range
>of combinations.  It seems most NST systems running 30 ma seemed to favor
>either 2 or 3 max for good performance.  With 60 and 120 ma driving current
>the favorite was 5-6 gaps (60 ma) and 7-9 gaps (120 ma).  This system was
>tried with 5 different NST powered coils and produced similar results.
>Coil sizes varied with diameters from 3 in thru 18 inch in a 4:5 to 1
>aspect ratio for most (one was 6:1).  Multibladed rotors are not necessary
>and usually overquench as someone in the List recently posted.  The very
>best system for small coils is still the synchro RSG running at 1800 RPM
>with a 4 electrode rotor.  We use 2 stationary gaps on each side of the
>wheel for a series of 4 total gaps usually set to 1/16th inch each gap.
>This produces a very smooth output which fires early on the variac and
>delivers consistently good quenching for NST powered systems.  The synchro
>RSG works good with both 60 and 120 ma drives at either 12 kV or 15kV.  The
>subdivided stationary gaps I described above usually work best with a
>150-200 CFM blower fan arranged at 1 1/2-2 inches away from the active
>sparking area.  The vacuum cleaner suction system also works very well to
>promote good gap quench but it's usually not necessary unless you drive
>above 120 ma.