[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Arrays of motor capacitors

     I'm contemplating assembling a capacitor for TC use by serially
     chaining a bunch of equal-valued motor run capacitors.  The total
     voltage rating (at 60 Hz) would be 99,000V (conservatively derating by
     half to 49,500) for TC service, which, assuming a low absorption
     dielectric, should work nicely in a 15kV NST powered coil.

     I believe the dielectric in the caps is PP, and they are oil filled.
     I would put them in a wooden box with compartments to isolate their
     cans.

     Will such a setup work, or will I have a bunch of flaming oil-filled
     grenades?

     TIA,
     Aric

     BTW, the price for these caps makes them an attractive alternative to
     a commercial cap, maybe even a homebrew...if they'll work...