[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AC coil resistance equation

From: "bmack" <bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net>

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: AC coil resistance equation
> Date: Thursday, August 27, 1998 7:50 PM
>

> From: dwight duncan <duncand-at-ccsalpha2.nrl.navy.mil>
>
> At 05:43 AM 8/27/98 -0600, you wrote:
> >From: "bmack" <bmack-at-frontiernet-dot-net>
>Dwight Ducan wrote:
> "Hello,
>
>     The impedance of an inductor is as: XsubL=w*L That simple, w
Omega=2pief.
> And Q can be calculated directly as : Q=w*L/R Where R is the DC
resistance.
>  That is it, hope this helps.
>

> Dwight"

Dwight,

I believe you misunderstood my "AC resistance" post.
In order to get closer to the real Qu value, you need to consider the
AC Skin effect resistance as the denominator term. It is always greater
than the dc resistance !  Your unloaded Q equation is otherwise correct.
Just use the Rac value from my post instead of the dc resistance.

Wow !, I feel better now, I did help someone with that post!

Jim McVey