[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electroplating

>supply. So there is little danger of water contamination. As far as
>being poisoned is concerned the processes that I intend to use will not
>involve the use of potassium cyanide, or any of the nastier chemicals

That is a very good idea. Some chemicals are so poisonous it is hard
to imagine. (Cyanides being one example of those.)

There was also some talk against nickel-plating because of the posibility
of nickel carbonyl buildup. That would be very toxic too. I guess you
better avoid experimenting what happens under arc conditions.

>used in plating. The only danger in the process that I'm looking at now
>is exposure to Hydrogen Sulfide gas. And I intend to take precautions to
>prevent being exposed to it.

You probably should. It is rather poisonous too. Fortunately, you can
easily smell it even in minor consentrations. If you're working in a
closed
environment you should make sure you don't get used to the
smell of it. It is funny how you can just smell it a bit all the time
while
the consentration is actually going up. Nose gets pretty quickly used
to that smell.

Anyway, plating is yet an art. You need a plating that will stick to the
surface well. Not every metal sticks to the metal you have there.
That's why plating is often made with multiple layers of different
metals. Coating also needs to be something that won't wear out
too easily and plating recipe has to be chosen with that in mind.

--
Harri Suomalainen     mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi

We have phone numbers, why'd we need IP-numbers? - a person in a bus