[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring Secondary Coils

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, August 21, 1998 8:55 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measuring Secondary Coils

  Chris, Reinhard, All -

  I agree with Reinhard that the calcs and testing of Tesla coils are not
to be taken lightly. For over 10 years I have been hearing coilers say that
the equations and calculations do not work because they do not agree with
tests. In all of the cases where I have had enough info I found that these
coilers did not understand how to do the calcs or tests properly. When the
calcs and tests were done properly the calcs and tests would agree.

 The problem is that many of the usual tests shown in the literature are
not well suited for Tesla coil work and it is easy to misunderstand the
results. I wrote three books which gave some of the necessary information
but there is a lot more that can be written about how to do the calcs and
tests adequately for Tesla coil systems. Of course, now the Internet is
providing more info but this information is scattered and not coordinated.
What is needed is for someone to write a book on testing Tesla coils,
including waveforms. JHC Engineering has no plans for such a book.

  Any coiler who has written a computer program for Tesla coils knows that
the calculated outputs will only agree with tests when the user provides
accurate values for the inputs and the tests are done right. The biggest
pitfall is understanding how to handle the secondary terminal capacitance
and the coil self capacitance. The next in importance is in finding the
correct test frequency values which are sometimes squared in the calcs.
There are several tests that can be used to measure the inductance of a
coil and the capacitance of a capacitor but only certain tests are best for
Tesla coils. There are many other pitfalls of which the coiler must be
aware.

John Couture