[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Protection

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 10:51 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Coil Protection

Tesla List wrote:

> After reviewing my current system I have decided that before I proceed any
> further I need to have somewhere where I can put sensitive electrical
> equipment away from my coils electrical output. If I have a fully metal shed
> (roof and all) and attach a large earth to the side. Will I be able to put
> my electronic equipment in there without having to worry about it being
> damaged by the coil??  Is there any other easier way to achieve this?

Just avoid hitting them with direct sparks, and almost everything will not be
damaged. Computers, however, can easily crash or "freeze" in the vicinities.
Tesla coils are comparatively poor RF transmitters, considering the input power.
It is difficult to predict what would be a safe distance, but generally what
is safe for you is safe for most electronic equipment (at least when turned
off) too.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz