[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  Jim Lux [SMTP:James.P.Lux-at-jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 11:43 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

A foot and a half? You mean 18 inches or 45 cm? From 10 kV? Perhaps in a
Jacob's ladder or drawing an arc with movable electrodes, but I'd find
it unusual. Needle point breakdown at 10 kV is only going to be a
centimeter or so.  If you could get 18" arcs with 10 kV, then neon sign
transformers would need MUCH better insulation and need to be much
bigger.

Perhaps you mean you got an INCH and half, which is reasonable and
practical with a fairly high current 10 kV supply and a suitable rising
arc gap or needle points.