[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Sunday, August 16, 1998 4:27 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

Hi all,
        There is a more complex and convoluted way to get an accurate
power reading than a standard power meter if you don't mind a bit of
math. Alternatively, you can simply get an indication of what kind of
waveforms you are attempting to measure. Use an oscilloscope to
simultaneously watch the input current and voltage waveforms and
their relative phases. If they are supermiposed, you can
mathematically derive a true peak, RMS and average power measure for
your supply under whatever loading conditions you wish to check for.
You wish to multiply and sum the common area enclosed by the two
waveforms.
     I was shocked to see the current waveform of a single microwave
transformer when I put the scope across a current sensing resistor
for the first time. It was rich in harmonics and peaked at around 20A
off a 230VAC supply despite being rated for a load of 900W or so.
Highly non-sinusoidal.
     NB - either the scope or the Tesla power transformer must be
isolated from the mains. I prefer to isolate the power transformer to
keep the scope at ground potential. One leg of the transformer has
both channel earth clips connected, one signal lead goes to the other
side of a resistor (say 0.1 Ohm) connected from that point to one
side of the power transformer primary (gives the current waveform),
and the other signal lead to the other side of the power transformer
to get the voltage waveform.

    If you are not sure what you are doing, please don't try this.

Malcolm