[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

----------
From:  FutureT-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 11, 1998 8:05 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

 [snip]

 --
  -GL >>

Greg, all,

I think that it's the total power applied to the toroid that roughly
determines the amount of circum-toroidal ionization, and the
spark length support capabilities.  Since ionizaton dispersal is
somewhat slow, it might not matter if we use big bang/ low PPS,
or small bang/ high PPS...the total ionization may be about the
same, supporting similar break-out abilities, spark lengths, etc.
The toroid size must match the power input level (roughly).  At low
break-rates, a smaller toroid may be needed (for a coherent spark)
in your TC, because the power  throughput is lower.

If you doubled the size of your tank cap (and retuned),
which would then draw twice the power at a given break rate, then I
think the coil would produce a coalescent spark at one half its
present coalescent break-rate.  A given spark length would be
produced at about 1/2 the break-rate previously required.  (I'm
ignoring possible changes here in gap losses, transformer losses,
etc.)

If you leave your TC tank cap as is, but install a smaller ROC
toroid, I would expect a short, but coalescent spark to form at low
break rates, since the toroid will then be matched to the available
power.  It would seem that a certain sized toroid requires a certain
amount of power, over time, to do a good ionizing job, and support
coalescent spark production.  A too small ROC gives multiple
sparks also for a given bang size/voltage.

Perhaps your awesome Electrum TC is able to coalesce at lower
break-rates because it has so much power relative to its toroid's
ROC, at a given break-rate, (I haven't yet gone over the specs for
your two TC's).  Or something else may be affecting things.

Regards,
John Freau