[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Howdy, Folks !

----------
From:  Payne, Will E [SMTP:will.e.payne-at-lmco-dot-com]
Sent:  Monday, August 10, 1998 9:43 PM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  Howdy, Folks !

New member here, built a Tcoil in college. My modestly sucessful original
design, plus a big 'un by a friend, is at http://www.altair-dot-org/tesla/ for
reference.  Thinking about coiling up another one, but before proceeding
farther, would welcome comments from all you experienced builders out there
:

Have got two forms at my disposal, first is white PVC pipe 8 in x 6 ft with
1/2 in walls, second is green fiberglass 12 in dia x 4 ft, with 1/8 in
walls.  Have plenty of #20 wire, a variac, several 450 VA neon xfmrs, and a
stovepipe toroid about 22x8 in.

Which form ought I use ?  Is 450 VA enuff to drive a coil this size ?

Plan to start with saltwater caps and a fixed gap.  Comments ?

Tried parallel connecting 3 identical neon xfmrs all same make and model,
but one acts almost as if 90 deg out of phase with the others.  What gives ?

Might try to use the secondary for an output of my LF radio beacon.  Anyone
tried this ?  (any lowfers out there I am YWK on 184.320 kHz CW, grid
EM74oa)

Thanks for your comments !
Altair

William E. Payne