[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Quench, Coherence etc.

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, August 10, 1998 6:01 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Quench, Coherence etc.

Hi all,
        The mail system here trucated this post so here is the
missing part:

>         Here are a few results obtained from some experiments. Power
> supply was DC charger, BPS = 1.
>
> Two Coil System
>
> Lsec : 20.6mH,  Csec : 13.5pF,  H/D : 4.8,  Cterm : 6pF or so
> Fs(w. term) : 250kHz
>
> Lp : 17uH,  Cp : 25nF,  Vp : 13kV  (system breakout about 9kV)
> Ep : 2.1J
>
> Ttransfer : 12uS,  Ringup : 3 cycles of Fs,  k : 0.16
>
> Gap = adjustable pipe gap.  Number of gaps varied from 2 to 8 during
> tests. Adjusted to fire at 13kV for each number of gaps.
>
> Results: - 2 gaps : no effective quench except with attached streamer.
>            Mostly 3, 4th notch quench. 11" hot blue spark to ground
>            rod 20% of the time.
>          - 4 gaps : quench mostly 2nd notch w. no breakout, always
>            with breakout. Spark about the same as 2 gaps.
>          - 6 gaps : quench always 2nd notch. Spark increased to 11.5"
>            20% of the time.
>          - 8 gaps : quench always 1st notch. Spark 10.5" for 20% of
>            shots - yep, it decreased.

***** I looked in vain for any signs of a shift in V/I distribution
in all tests, breakout or not. Coherence if it exists remains
elusive. The resonator was carefully chosen to have a delay line type
H/D with only a 1/4 of the total capacitance in the top. I
superimposed the beat envelope captured in the scope on the first
notch quenched waveform.

    If breakout did not occur under optimal quench, the secondary
oscillated to no good effect for a very long time but it was all
decay after quench. No sudden rise in amplitude; in fact no rise at
all.

  A most interesting thing was noted that suggests that optimum
quench <> optimum sparks (also suggested in the spark lengths above).
For the same breakout conditions, the amplitude of the waveform was
significantly higher in the second ringup than if the system
optimally quenched and decayed. In effect, the coil had two hits at
the air some time apart and with still high amplitude on the second
hit. Arc dynamic theorists might have something to say about that one.

     I made a note elsewhere about the streamers observed and how
their number related to breakout voltage and ROC.

Sorry about the unintended snippage.
Malcolm