[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid state cameras (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:47:49 -0700
From: lod-at-pacbell-dot-net
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Solid state cameras (fwd)

Gary Lau wrote:

> I'm contemplating the purchase of a solid state still-image camera, to be
> used largely in documenting the construction and operation of my coil.
> I've seen videos of TC operation that are plagued by snowy interference,
> and I'm wondering if solid state CCD imagers are simply a bad idea
> anywhere near operating coils.  Has anyone used one sucessfully with
> near-photographic quality?

A friend had the vertical snowy dots problem with his camera.
Wrapping the camera in grounded Al foil cured this problem.
The e-field from the secondary is usually the culprit.

On my last coil I mounted a mini-CCD in the vault, looking up
the manway at the primary.  I have only lost this camera once.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org