[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid state cameras (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 13:17:38 +0930
From: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Solid state cameras (fwd)

At 08:50 PM 05/08/98 -0600, Gary Lau wrote:

>I'm contemplating the purchase of a solid state still-image camera, to be
>used largely in documenting the construction and operation of my coil.
>I've seen videos of TC operation that are plagued by snowy interference,
>and I'm wondering if solid state CCD imagers are simply a bad idea
>anywhere near operating coils.  Has anyone used one sucessfully with
>near-photographic quality?
>
>Also, do current models permit extended (multi-second "B" mode) exposures?

No.  Longest exposure with current CCD's is about 0.25s, which is way too
short for good coil pictures.

I have an Olympus C1400-L, which is a very nice camera, fantastic for
documentation & web site photos, but NFG for photos of sparks !!  No
problems with interference, I have taken a few photos, but they ain't much
to speak of :-(

For sparks still use good old fashioned Nikon 35mm SLR.

Cheers,
Mark

Doing the little I can for the Ozone layer ...

Tesla Page <http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis>