[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pentode TC progress (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 16:31:54 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Pentode TC progress (fwd)

" On my site is a schematic of an old spark-gap driven induction heater:
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160/ind1.html
"

	That's an inefficient circuit, sinces it uses resistors for charging.
May have been easier to control for the intended purpose.

	As a matter of interest, the first semiconductor device lab we had at
Hughes Aircraft back around 1951 had a similar spark-gap induction
heater which was used to melt glass (!) as well as semiconductor
material.  When it was on all other RF (and even, sometimes, video) work
came to a halt because of the QRM.  The guys eventually had to work at
night to keep from being mobbed by the rest of us.  Out of that lab
came, among other things, the first of the "modern" glass-encapsulated
diodes.

Ed