[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Buyers Warning! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:08:47 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Buyers Warning! (fwd)

Jeff, all,
             Hear hear to your excellent post.

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 15:53:11 -0700
> From: "Jeff W. Parisse" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Re: Buyers Warning! (fwd)
>
> Condenser Products doesn't sell their excellent Tesla Caps anymore because
> certain Tesla Coilers didn't understand the product's application and
> precautions
> and harassed the company on the Internet until C.P.  withdrew the product.
> This even AFTER C.P. had responded to requests to retool their design and
> offer hassle free replacement caps. C.P. bent over backwards to service
> Tesla coilers and was more responsive to our needs as Tesla coil
> experimenters than any other firm.

I can personally confirm that. They were very good to me and I am
deeply sorry that they have decided we are no longer worth the
trouble. I think one should always remember that you get what you pay
for. Including shipping and other costs, I parted with around NZ $700
each for mine and I had got to the stage where I really *had* to have
high quality pulse caps. I use them carefully and sparingly for
experimental work where only the best will do. I am sure glad I
ordered two. The company honoured its guarantee to the letter.

     I would also like to thank Scott Myers for setting that deal up.
I know he took flak from some quarters after some caps gave trouble
and I am deeply sorry for him.

> Question: Has any other manufacturer of
> quality capacitors developed a line of relatively low cost, high efficiency,
> pulse
> discharge capacitors specifically designed and rated for Tesla coils?
>
> Answer: No.
> Reason: The "Few Bad Apples" theory. Sorry Tesla Bunch.

Quite frankly, I don't think there is any such thing as a "cheap
quality capacitor".

> Repercussion: Many are thinking twice (three times even) about letting
> their sources out of the bag. Who has noticed besides me that "top down"
> contributions to this forum are on the decline? Why reveal a source or
> technique that may lead others to a vendor if someone is just gonna screw
> it up? Yeah, it's sad. I joined this list to learn AND share. There just
> aren't
> that many secret fishing holes left...
>
> Jeff W. Parisse, Director
> kVA Effects