[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RF biological hazards? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:01:21 +0100
From: R M Craven <craven-at-globalnet.co.uk>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RF biological hazards?

Perhaps this subject has already been covered: I imaginr Mark Rzez.
would be able to answer with ease.

I was reading a  IEEE conference proceeding recently, which showed
that "skin depth" in people was several tens of cm at a few MHz,
decreasing with frequency. I haven't got the reference to hand but if
anybody wants me to find it, I'll do so.

Basically, RF currents do not flow over the outer mm of human skin:
they reach significant penetration depths, according to this respected
publication. I believe the depth was quoted based on 1/e density.

So, the fact that TC discharges at a few hundred kHz are painless is
NOT an indicator that they are sfae. RMS heating will still occur,
won't it? And that might be deep inside your body. The fact that we
feel little is perhaps more related to nervous response times as was
recently discussed.

Can anyone raise any comments on this?

Richard Craven, Malvern, England