[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[Fwd: Rumkorff Coil] (fwd)

dear ricardo,

what do you mean by producing sparkgaps? You mean sparks?? Sparkgaps are
the
things sparks jump in between!

I posted the question about using a rumkorff inductor/coil as a
energizer
for a teslacoil, while I thought: if it succeeds, I have a safe low
power
way of supplying my teslacoil. Allthough it works to let the rumkorff
produce a high voltage, it supplies only a very low (<1 or 2 mA!)
current.
Since you need high current to charge the capacitors quickly and you
don't
want to have a to high voltage (output rumkorff can be easily >90 KV!!!)

while your caps will fail easily, often NST (neon sign transformers),
Pole
Pigs (transformers with a high voltage connection on top and constructed

using high top insulators) or Plate transformers are used. They all
supply
high currents (30mA....2000mA) by reasonable voltages (9..30 KV). See??

On the other hand Rumkorffs are rather seldom found, and a nice
introduction
help in to the high voltage area. Please take care of cap's (capacitors)

charged by this low current source while the voltage can reach
dangerously
high values as well as the current (charge) stored!!

Bye Arwin solva xs4all.nl

Ricardo Veloso Gon=E7alves de Oliveira wrote:

> I wonder if you could tell me how to do a Rumkorff coil for producing
> spark gaps (high voltage - thousands of Volt). It seems it can be done

> only with transformers. I'm a beginner on this stuff so don't push it
> much . Thanks.

-- BEGIN included message

Ricardo Veloso Gonçalves de Oliveira wrote:

> I wonder if you could tell me how to do a Rumkorff coil for producing
> spark gaps (high voltage - thousands of Volt). It seems it can be done
> only with transformers. I'm a beginner on this stuff so don't push it to
> much . Thanks.

-- END included message