[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:32:31 -0500
From: Michael Smith <md.smith-at-earthling-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Potato Chips (fwd)
> Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 3:19 PM

Everyone is sneaking up on the whole truth of the matter here. This is
kind of fun to watch. the laminations are definately to reduce eddie
current losses in the core. Father Tom was correct in saying that the
insulation is the bluish black stuff. Now, for the weld down the side,
they are to reduce hum from loose laminations. the varnish does that as
well. When they want a phyically robust and quiet transformer in a high
power setting they weld them. Note that when they are not welded they are
bolted. But they are never bolted in microwaves.

As for the placement of the weld, I can only surmise that it is welded in
a spot that is going to have the minimal effect, because there will be
eddie currents there. I would like to know how they decide where to weld
it. I might get in touch with an engineer from Signal or someplace and
get the scoop.

Btw, I learned my bead blasting thin metal lesson on a 1/32" thick
aluminum door on a range exhaust fan. I ended up making the new one out
of brass shim stock.   :)

Michael Smith
md.smith-at-earthling-dot-net