[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rolled caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:34:02 EDT
From: Esondrmn <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: rolled caps

 to: Kevin

 The two equations are equivalent -- the units conversion factor of 10^7
 just makes them look different.

 Regarding your rolled up caps -- when you roll the caps very tightly you
 compress the dielectric thus reducing it to 1/2 its normal thickness.  A
 1/2 appears in the demoninator which goes  "upstairs" to appear as a 2 x
 the final value.  If you use 1/2 the unstressed thickness as the "d" in
 your equation you will get the right values on the first calculation
 without multiplication being necessary.

 DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Mr. DR.,

I must disagree with you here.  My rolled caps are made with LDPE.  While this
dielectric is flexible enough to be able to roll up, it is quite dense and it
is not possible to reduce its thickness by rolling it tightly.  I doubt you
could reduce its thickness much be squeezing it in a vise.  I believe we get
twice the calculated value in a rolled cap because the two plates, when
rolled, effectivlely look like three plates so the formula N-1 yields 3-1 or
times 2.

Ed Sonderman