[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST protection

----------
From:  Sulaiman Abdullah [SMTP:sulabd-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, April 16, 1998 4:29 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: NST protection

>From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
>Sent:  Tuesday, April 14, 1998 5:13 PM
>To:  Tesla List
>Subject:  Re: NST protection

First I'd like to thank all who contributed to the (hopefully)
longer life of my next NST !, thanks guys.

Malcolm,
Thanks for the info, do you mean throw-out just the chokes,
(keeping the 1.1 nF per leg to ground and 7k series resistors)
or remove all devices from NST to safety and main spark gaps?

Anyone...
NST/rf filters store energy in parallel capacitors and series
inductors, for the filter I made the discharge time is longer
than the calculated 'ringing-down' time of the primary resonant
circuit (time to first null calculated based on k).
Could energy stored in the filter make it difficult to quench
the main gap at first null? Just curious if anyone has considered
this already and has a simple answer. Bye ... Sulaiman