[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gaps

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, April 12, 1998 11:18 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Spark Gaps

to: Steve Falco

Proper gap design is a function of eliminating excessive heat which leads
to a more direct relationship to current as opposed to potential -- this
assumes of course you have a standoff so the high potential isn't tracking
or leaking down the insulator.  A 5 kV potential at 1 Amp requires a more
careful design than a 15 kV unit running 333 ma.  The idea is to "quench"
the gap with enough efficiency to "trap" as much energy in the secondary so
it doesn't try to blast back into the primary where constructive and
destructive interference effects can occur.  Higher currents require more
efficient quenching for proper operation.  The largest consideration, is of
course, the actual peak discharge current of the capacitor in the system.
This value typically is in the range of 100 to over 1000 peak amperes.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net